New Customers

New to Fantasy or Reality? Click here for a brief synopsis of what to expect.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Numbers

1, 2, 3, 4, 5... I counted. Each of the numbers representing a series of numbers that represented yet more. As I spoke and moved my hands, arrays of symbols appeared in the air before me. Even as my mouth spoke the basic numbers, my mind was crafting the matrices of calculations appearing midair, as a warm glowing energy.

"Wow, that is impressive." A woman nearby said, as she stopped in the road to observe as I continued, undaunted by the growing audience. The initial setup complete, I now moved onto the complex calculations.

2x/sin(3r+5y³) - 1.5(T+2i) ; Π-2tan(2.87T-r² ± 12)... The runes and numbers now started flowing from the matrices, forming the structure of the incantation. Just a moment longer and I would be complete.  Now for the most arcane.

ɣɚȵȶɕʡȝȡǽ, ʊʂʆʨϰϨȃȢȵ... The last of the equations seemingly words, but in fact merely substitutions for the mathematical concepts built up in the matrices upon which the lattice now sat. Then, with a triumphant yell, I solved the incantation.

"Kyrota!" And just like that, I saw the pull of the fabric of spacetime warp, as matter from the distant edges of the universe now entangled in the energy of the spell, came forth, and took the place to which I summoned it. Before me now stood a great mansion, adorned in simple stone architecture accented with gold, and ruby carpets. A sprawling courtyard with newly born rose bushes on either side of the path.

"My goodness!" The woman exclaimed, amongst similar reactions from other onlookers. Of course, I found this reaction commonplace. It seemed everywhere I was commissioned to do my work, it held some mystery to those who witnessed it. Years of study and practice, however, made such things mundane.

I walked over to the carriage nearby, as a youth robed in gentle purple and silver fabrics stepped out. He was attended by his butler, wearing a dusty grey suit. The youth looked over my work.

"I am not terribly impressed." He said to me. Most likely an attempt to save himself a ransom of coin.

"Neither am I, but work done is worth payment, my lord." I replied, extending my hand toward him. The youth scowled, a look which did not look good on his otherwise gentle features. It was clear this lord had never worked an honest day in his life.

"Well, we shall see about that. Braev, the money." He instructed his butler. A small pouch was handed to me. I looked inside. As expected, these were gold pieces. My services cost the same weight in platinum.

"I believe there has been an error, sir. This payment..."

"IS ENOUGH for the place you have built here. Pitiful, you shall get no more." He scoffed.

"Then I shall take back that which you have not yet paid." I said, tugging on a few aetherial cords in the structure. With a flash of light, the equations I had built in spacetime came to life, and at once, the second and third floors of the mansion disappeared, and the courtyard as well.

"You FILTHY CHEAT! How DARE YOU?" He yelled at me. "Guards, kill this man!"

Several armed guards rushed forward with their spears and short swords. I sighed. One in every ten transactions, something like this happens. It is ridiculous. As they stepped within my warding area, I spoke a word of power, invoking the powers. The guards were instantly aflame, and frozen in place. They screamed in terror and in pain. Unable to move, they were at my mercy to put them out.

"I, the cheat? You deign to request my services, and then try to pay me less than half for the work I have done, and then intend to have me killed? You sir, are deserving of a title far worse." The villagers rushed out of sight at the commotion, fearing for their lives now that they saw guards burning alive in their suits of armor, leather and metal melting with their skin. The screams stopped, and the bodies fell to the ground in a pool of smoking gore and molten ore.

"Monster! You will pay for this!" The noble boy called, as he fled in his carriage. Another day, another enemy. Such was the difficulty of being a numerologist in this world. It would be far too easy to cheat the system, and build an empire of my own. But I have always believed in the value of hard work. Maybe one day, others will too.

-------------------------
This blog post is part of a series of stories associated with Practice makes pretense, in which a collection of writing done in response to prompts is compiled. Then, the reader should answer the following two questions: 1) What was your favorite thing about the writing? 2) What did you feel as you read it?

If you would like to view the original, please visit the Practice makes pretense book on Wattpad, and respond to the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment