New Customers

New to Fantasy or Reality? Click here for a brief synopsis of what to expect.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Missed Connections

I've been single for what seems like a long time. To me, I should say, because naturally how we perceive time varies based on our age, our experiences, and other qualia.

Lately, the fact that I am single has been hitting me rather hard. It is not always a big deal (sure it would be nice to not have to deal with it again, but I can generally handle being single because less responsibility). Recently, however, I have been noticing all the missed connections I have with people. Or connections that I maybe haven't missed, but perhaps still haven't addressed yet.

I know how silly it can sound, making a love life so important. But I've seen some people I've been intrigued by lately, but despite my intentions to not miss those connections, I have been prevented from taking action. Mostly by circumstance, not by my unwillingness to talk to people. After all, if you pass a stranger on the street (fyi- just an example, I'm not literally approaching random people on the street, in case you were wondering), and you're into them but say nothing... you may never have a chance to say anything to them again. It's just how things go.

So, I've been a bit disappointed that I've missed some opportunities to get to know more about those intriguing people. Then there are the people who I like, but despite my efforts to get to know them better, it is unusually difficult. I suppose I should give myself a bit of credit, I am putting forth effort, but the connection with those people are also kinda vague. Nebulous, minor connections. I'm still working on them, but I think I may have to face the fact that it may never be a strong connection, regardless of how much time I put into it.

I long for connection with others. I feel I'm missing out on it somehow. And although I want the circumstances to change, I don't want to have to completely change who I am or how I operate just for a chance that something might happen. Maybe it is that very stubbornness to change that has led me to the point where I am. Approaching 30 years old, with less than 6 months of time in 'significant other' relationships under my belt for experience. Not sure what to do. And, for those who are reading, sorry if this isn't my normal fantasy short story type of post, but then again, the prompts do seem to imply occasionally writing real stuff, and this is Fantasy or Reality. So, today I'm being real. I hate missed connections.

-------------------------
This blog post is part of a series of stories associated with Practice makes pretense, in which a collection of writing done in response to prompts is compiled. Then, the reader should answer the following two questions: 1) What was your favorite thing about the writing? 2) What did you feel as you read it?

If you would like to view the original, please visit the Practice makes pretense book on Wattpad, and respond to the writer.

1 comment:

  1. 1) It's good to have posts bringing it back to real every once in a while
    2) I feel connection here. What with the whole 0 months in a significant other relationship -.-'

    ReplyDelete