New Customers

New to Fantasy or Reality? Click here for a brief synopsis of what to expect.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Closed doors

Doors serve a couple purposes. They segment a space, with walls, while providing a place of egress. But unlike open thresholds, they aren't always passable. And unlike walls, they aren't always going to keep things out.

They can serve multiple purpose, but closed doors, alone, play more roles than one. A closed door can be a manner of protecting yourself from danger, it can be a way to maintain your privacy without sacrificing the freedom to leave if desired, or it can be a way to exclude someone or something.

The phrase 'whenever a door closes a window opens' is really unusual. I get it, the idea is that just because one option becomes non-viable, doesn't mean there are no other options. But then again, who the hell typically has windows that are as big as doors and go all the way to the floor? Climbing through a window is noticeably more difficult. Additionally, since when has anyone ever slammed a window in somebody's face? I don't recall it happening much, but doors are much more common in that regard.

But the thing about closed doors is that they can be metaphorical. So when someone shuts you out of their life, that can be a closed door. And when options are dwindling, or appear to be absent, those are closed doors.

I find myself in a strange space, since I like the ability to have time to myself, I willingly close doors sometimes... but then when I want to connect, I find the doors of others are not only closed, but locked. Not all the time, but enough.

So, I'm waiting for a person who will open their door, a person with whom I can swap skeleton keys. Because I am way too big to climb through the windows.

-------------------------
This blog post is part of a series of stories associated with Practice makes pretense, in which a collection of writing done in response to prompts is compiled. Then, the reader should answer the following two questions: 1) What was your favorite thing about the writing? 2) What did you feel as you read it?

If you would like to view the original, please visit the Practice makes pretense book on Wattpad, and respond to the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment