New Customers

New to Fantasy or Reality? Click here for a brief synopsis of what to expect.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Who knew?

I suppose that I had never stopped to consider just how terribly annoying it is trying to deal with rehearsals of our praise and worship team until recently.

It's so frustrating to have technical problems of unknown origin, with everyone yelling about how it needs to be fixed, and nobody being quiet so you can figure out where the problem is... then when you discover the source of the problem and fix it other things pop up. "I'm not loud enough, she's too loud... etc." but when you try to fix these, you've got the one guy on the team who plays drums who won't stop long enough for you to get a proper mic check. Even worse, he plays so loud he's bleeding into every mic on stage! Then, when you're trying to make sure the sound is clean, you've got people out in the room making so much noise you can't hear things even though you're wearing headphones.

On the other hand, I think I'm better suited for making sure the sounds work well right now than the other people messing with the sound board, because I've been well acquainted with the system we're using for the locations of mics and amps, and the channels for audio feed and monitors.

Ultimately, I can do this... I can do this, but I don't want to do this. I'd rather be singing than working the sound board; I'm ok with doing the sound since I can't sing because at least I can make sure it sounds right.

Such is the volunteerism I do. Honestly, volunteering to do stuff sucks. On the other hand, it's important, and when it doesn't suck it's just plain awesome. Very little middle ground. Highs and lows all the time.
Now if only I had someone who I could call my significant other, who would serenade me with a soothing croon and beautiful guitar. Oh, sorry, I guess I was daydreaming because at times fantasy feels better than reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment